How To Start Modern Homesteading For Beginners

tháng 8 16, 2017

Start small and then decide.

If you want to convert to the homesteading lifestyle, you can start with one small project at a time to determine if the lifestyle is for you. If you dream of living off of your land with no outside job, you should know that this isn’t an unreachable goal.

Anna Hess and her husband Mark have been happily homesteading for years on their 58-acre property, where they enjoy both the labors and the fruits of having a self-sustaining farm.


If you’re interested in following in their paths, they’ve got advice for would-be homesteaders on how to get started—and succeed.

Hess’s early childhood was filled with amazing memories on her family’s farm, which prompted her want to return to that lifestyle. “I had dreamed of going back to the land ever since my own back-to-the-lander parents threw in the towel and dragged us into town when I was in third grade,” she says. “As soon as I got out of college, I started saving, studying and planning, eventually materializing a farm, which just about kicked my butt in the first year.”

Before long, she met Mark, whose combination of common sense and a strong back allowed her to more comfortably transition to homesteading.

Although Mark hadn’t shared the lifelong goal of becoming a homesteader, the couple helped each other prepare for the life on the farm. “It was tougher for him than for me since I’d been training myself to live frugally since high school, whereas Mark had been considering moving to Los Angeles or New York City,” she says. “In the end, though, Mark taught me as much about enjoying the process as I taught him about simple living, and we both learned to love partnering with the farm.”

Start several small projects

If you’re interested in the homesteading lifestyle, your best bet is to ensure that you don’t jump in with both feet too quickly, which is the biggest mistake that Hess sees new homesteaders make. “We all bite off more than we can chew in the beginning, and unfortunately that causes many homesteaders to burn out,” she says. “I grew up watching my parents struggle with a farm, one full-time job, and three kids, but I still tried to embark on projects beyond my energetic means during the first few years on the farm.

My husband has helped me realize that homesteading is all about the journey, and even if it takes a decade (or two, or three) to reach your goals, you’ve been successful as long as you keep making progress and enjoy every minute.” In her book, The Weekend Homesteader, Hess suggests easy and rewarding projects that new homesteaders can take on during the first year or more. “Your best bet is to get your feet wet in a lot of different areas, but to keep each endeavor small,” she says.

For instance, planting one fruit tree and a small vegetable garden will help you learn about your … Read the rest

The post How To Start Modern Homesteading For Beginners appeared first on Into The Jungle.



from Into The Jungle https://www.intothejungle.org/how-to-start-modern-homesteading-for-beginners/
via IntoTheJungle on Weebly

You Might Also Like

0 nhận xét

Like us on Facebook